PROMOTION hopes remain hanging by a thread for Swindon after they recorded a much-needed 3-2 win against Clifton Robinsons A at the weekend, their first win in over a month.

A 2-2 draw against Firebrands A proved to be Tom Goldsmith’s side’s best result from the four games leading up to their latest tie.

But they reversed recent form when Rob Riddell’s late effort secured the home side their seventh win this season, leaving them in seventh with 26 points from 21 games.

Saturday’s game started frantically, with both teams struggling to retain possession. Swindon eventually settled and took the lead through Phil Scarisbrick, who benefitted from Thomas Gillingham’s accurate pass towards the circle.

Missed opportunities then hurt the hosts as Clifton equalised against the run of play. Alan Gough was helpless and could only watch a low shot hit the back of his net.

Riddell’s half-time team talk appeared to work in the early moments of the second half as Swindon re-established their one-goal lead.

Julius Cousins showcased his defensive and attacking traits by stepping in front of his man before allowing Tom Wickens to strike the hosts’ second goal.

Despite pressing for a third, Swindon were again caught out when an interception in midfield gifted Clifton their second.

Undeterred, Goldsmith’s side pressed and were rewarded for their persistent efforts when Riddell struck a low shot at the front post which popped up and into the back of the net.

Swindon are next in action on Saturday when facing Cheltenham.

Elsewhere, Swindon Ladies were held to a thrilling 4-4 draw against Newent Ladies.

A disastrous start was made as the hosts not only found themselves a goal down, but also two players down after a pair of green cards were shown.

Newent doubled their lead with 28 minutes played and held their form to enter half-time two goals up.

The second half however, was a complete contrast to the first. Chloe Lewis struck Swindon’s first goal with three minutes played before Adriana Boullosa levelled the tie 11 minutes later.

An own goal straight from the re-start put Swindon ahead, however a lapse in concentration from a penalty corner gifted Newent their third with 20 minutes of the half played.

Lex Hogarth then scored from a penalty stroke before Newent’s fourth goal completed the scoring.

Swindon dropped to sixth in the league and are next in action away at Redland on Saturday.