SWINDON Town manager Richie Wellens took plenty of positives as his side had to make do with a point following a 2-2 draw away at Cheltenham Town in League Two today.

On-loan striker Eoin Doyle twice put Swindon in front in the first half at the Johnny-Rocks Stadium, but Cheltenham were able to muster swift replies, first through Chris Hussey and then through Luke Varney.

Wellens, who watched the game from the stands after being handed a two-game touchline ban less than 24 hours before this afternoon’s match, felt it was his side who had the better of the play in Gloucestershire.

The chief frustration for the Swindon manager was therefore that his troops could not show a bit more resolve in the immediate aftermath of getting themselves in front on the scoreboard.

“We dominated vast periods of the first half but every time we scored, we conceded,” said Wellens.

“Every time I watched us build up play, I was thinking: ‘That is good, we look like we are going to score’. And we did score.

“Every time Cheltenham attacked, it looked like we were in no danger but a goal came out of nothing.

“It is a tough place to become as the pitch is so small and they put balls into the box.

“I am really pleased with the performance. We look a good team.”

Swindon thought they had got themselves ahead again in the second half, only for Mathieu Baudry’s close-range header to be ruled out by an offside flag.

The visitors would then finish the game with 10 men as Michael Doughty was shown a straight red card for a high tackle with 18 minutes to go.

Wellens felt the decision to rule out Baudry’s goal was the wrong one, with the call coming after Swindon were on the wrong end of another incorrect offside decision on Tuesday night as Northampton Town’s winning goal in a 1-0 success at SN1 was allowed to stand.

However, the Swindon boss had no complaints over the red card shown to Doughty.

Wellens said: “I don’t want to talk about referees but I have watched the third goal back and it is onside.

“If we had VAR, we would probably be sitting top of the league now.

“Michael’s was a sending off. It was a poor tackle, so I have got no complaints about that.

“The game changes then and you can see it is a really hot day and we worked really hard to take the point.”