SWINDON Town manager Richie Wellens says the grit his side showed to close out the game was the most pleasing aspect of Saturday’s 1-0 win at Cambridge United in League Two.

Jerry Yates finished off a good run and cross from Ellis Iandolo to get the only goal of the game after 27 minutes, with the effort capping a strong first-half performance from Town at the Abbey Stadium.

Although Cambridge had the better of the play after the break, Swindon were never overly troubled and a solid effort all around the park closed out the win.

It was that stubborn resolve that gave Wellens most satisfaction from the result.

“In the first half, we had really good control of possession. We move the ball around well,” said Wellens.

“It is a hot day and although the pitch was watered before the game, it dried out pretty quickly, so you are never going to get a zippy game of free-flowing football.

“In the first half, I thought we were seven out of 10. We were decent and controlled the majority of the game.

“Then we just gave the ball away at stupid times in the second half. We had loads of opportunities to counter-attack and if we made the right decision, we could have got the second goal.

“We gave the ball away and if you keep giving the ball away, then the opposition are going to come into it.

“Every credit to Cambridge, they are on a good run and are a good team. They play with two strikers, they are brave and ended up going 3-4-3 at the end.

“The quality got us in front and the fighting spirit and the determination to put our bodies on the line saw us through. That’s what pleases me the most about it.”

Iandolo’s brilliant run was the catalyst for the decisive moment in the game, with the left-back collecting Kaiyne Woolery’s flick to gather in space on the left before beating three United players to deliver a killer cross to Yates.

Wellens was thrilled with the goal and was delighted Iandolo was able to show exactly what he is capable of after an indifferent showing before that.

“We were a little bit frustrated with Ellis up to the goal,” said Wellens.

“We kept switching the ball out to the right and then back to the left quickly for Ellis to open up and drive. He kept coming back and playing safe.

“That is OK when you are playing against two but we isolated him one-on-one as we know he is a powerful runner and we know he can go past players.

“That was the first time he really got his head down, got it out of his feet and was positive.

“I don’t know if it was a cross or a shot but Yates was at the back stick to put it in. It was a good goal.”