THE CHELTENHAM hoodoo that has cursed Swindon for eight seasons made its seventh appearance at the County Ground this evening as Town were dumped out of the FA Cup.

Cheltenham’s hero from 10 days ago, Alex Addai, returned to haunt Richie Wellens’ men as a solo second half strike separated both teams in an underwhelming contest.

Without top goalscorer Eoin Doyle, who was cup tied, Swindon lacked their usual clinical flair in front of goal.

They twice struck the post, and Michael Doughty fluffed a second minute penalty.

Another first round exit, then – the club’s sixth fall at the first hurdle in their last seven attempts.

Wellens made one change to the team that drew 1-1 against Cheltenham in the fixture’s initial staging at Whaddon Road 10 days ago.

Dion Donohue, who has since left the club after his one-month contract wasn’t renewed, was replaced by Ellis Iandolo.

The game’s first half was rather subdued, though it could’ve taken a completely different path had Michael Doughty’s penalty not been saved with only two minutes played.

After Cheltenham threated as a direct result of Fryers’ unfortunate ricocheted clearance, Swindon proceeded up the pitch to win a penalty when Woolery was judged to have been shoved by Raglan in the penalty area.

In-form Doughty stepped up, but his effort – which was placed to Flinders’ bottom right corner – was saved before Lyden blasted the rebound well over the visitors’ crossbar.

Cheltenham responded well to their early wobble, though their first half efforts went without reward.

A dangerous cross from the right by Long was cut out by Baudry before the Frenchman deflected Addai’s follow up effort wide of Benda’s top right corner.

Rob Hunt had two tame efforts saved. But the half’s lull was epitomised best by the great roar that was generated when ex-Town defender Hussey blasted a shot from a corner over the Town End and into the stadium’s car park.

Diallang Jaiyesimi enjoyed a great half. The Norwich loanee was unfortunate not to grab an assist when his cross from the left met a free Yates 12 yards out.

Yates’ glancing header brushed Flinders’ far post – another let off for the visitors.

A similar chance was presented to Broom moments later, but he fluffed an attempted header that trickled underwhelmingly wide of Benda’s far post.

Michael Duff’s men enjoyed the better of the first half’s concluding moments.

They broke on a promising counterattack after Baudry was dragged out of position inside the visitors’ half. Whaddon Road hero Addai burst down the left before a dangerous cross agonisingly missed the studs of a waiting Smith on the edge of the six-yard box.

Addai delivered a similar cross in Cheltenham’s next attacking move, but this one was hacked behind by Iandolo for a corner that was dealt with.

Goalless at half time – a fair reflection of the game.

No changes were made at half time, though Duff was forced to take Long off mid-way through the first 45 – Chris Clements came on in his place.

Jaiyesimi’s energetic presence translated naturally into the second half. A twisted move to Flinders’ right resulted in a powerful shot that the visiting ‘keeper punched clear.

But the little atmosphere inside the stadium was sapped away on 50 minutes when Addai scored an excellent individual goal after he turned Hunt before proceeding into the penalty area.

With his right foot, Addai gave Benda no chance as his powerful strike crashed into the hosts’ bottom right corner.

Luck appeared to void Wellens’ team shortly after Addai’s goal. After Lyden superbly won possession in midfield, Doughty was sent through one-on-one with Flinders.

Doughty’s effort struck Flinders’ near post before the visitors promptly regained the ball.

Duff made his second tactical change at this point – Smith came off for Reid. Swindon still threatened, and did so in eye-catching style when Iandolo picked out Yates whose smart flick to Jaiyesimi was blasted just wide of Flinders’ left post.

But time was ticking, and a change was made as Sidy Sanokho came on in place of Rose with 15 minutes remaining.

Baudry shortly after made a cautious run into the penalty area, and was unlucky to see his shot blocked.

Wellens’ second roll of the dice saw Twine replace Jaiyesimi. This proved ineffective, and Cheltenham weathered the final eight minutes to secure a second round tie at home to Port Vale.