AN 11-minute goalscoring spree at the start of the second half earned Swindon Town three valuable points against improving Grimsby Town at the County Ground on Saturday afternoon.

Off the back of a collectively underwhelming first half performance, Swindon responded in the best possible way by netting three times between minutes 46 and 57.

Jerry Yates and Diallang Jaiyesimi swapped goal scorer and goal provider roles for the first two, while Mariners defender Luke Hendrie embarrassingly turned Lloyd Isgrove’s cross from the right into his own net to all but wrap up the hosts’ 20th League Two win of the season.

Only one change was made by Richie Wellens from last week’s mid-week win at Northampton. Jerry Yates returned to the XI, but there was no spot for Sixfields hero Jordan Lyden.

Grimsby’s improvement since Ian Holloway took charge of the club on New Year’s Eve was noticeable from kick off.

But even their additional quality couldn’t stop Eoin Doyle from bursting into the penalty area after he controlled Rarmani Edmonds-Green’s long punt forwards well.

The Irishman cut inside two men, before his shot was blocked. Possession was gobbled up by the waiting Lloyd Isgrove, though his shot was deflected onto James McKeown’s crossbar – a massive let off for the Mariners.

The post came to McKeown’s rescue for a second time with 15 minutes played.

This time Michael Doughty could only watch his effort crash away from the danger zone after he cut to the inside before launching a shot from the edge of the D in a move similar to Doyle earlier.

Grimsby made their threats known between these two chances. Charles Vernam’s dangerous cross from the byline was hacked behind for a corner by Rob Hunt before Luke Waterfall’s powerful header was tipped over by Steven Benda.

A 15-minute lull followed where – again – blustery winds severely impacted play, so much so that one of McKeown’s clearances went behind for a corner.

Evidently concerned by his side’s defensive work, Town chief Wellens scurried down to the touchline to dish out some words of wisdom.

They perhaps didn’t make the impact he had hoped for as Charles Verman almost beat Benda’s far post reach following his low effort on the half-hour mark.

Frustration grew as the half reached its conclusion. And the County Ground’s rather underwhelming mood was epitomised when Doughty ballooned his stoppage time free kick high into the Stratton Bank.

The rather mute ending to the first half was nothing to go on when play restarted.

Inspired Swindon quickly established the lead through Jerry Yates before Diallang Jaiyesimi doubled the hosts’ tally moments later.

Yates bundled his goal home after a switch of play by Fryers allowed Jaiyesimi to float a ball behind to Doyle who nodded it down yards from McKeown’s goalline – the Rotherham loan signing did the rest.

Jaiyesimi turned goal creator to goal scorer two minutes later. An excellent run by Yates to meet Doughty’s through ball at the left byline allowed the striker to deliver a cross to waiting Jaiyesimi, whose header found the back of Mariners’ net.

An own goal followed eight minutes later when Isgrove’s brilliant cross from the right was embarrassingly turned in by Luke Hendrie.

Grimsby pulled one back two minutes later when the towering James Hanson executed a bullet header from a corner at the back post to make it 3-1 and end a frantic 14-minute period.

Four goals in such a short space of time prompted both managers to make their first tactical changes.

Holloway took Grandin and Pollock off the field in favour of Matt Green and Max Wright.

Wellens meanwhile replaced Jaiyesimi with Jordan Lyden.

Holloway made his final change only nine minutes later when Garmston replaced Clarke while Muskwe came on for Isgrove when play was next halted.

Between changes, little happened. Grimsby’s best chance perhaps came on 78 minutes when Josh Benson’s quickly taken free kick was immediately struck by Vernam – the effort dribbled wide of Benda’s far post, though.

Kaiyne Woolery was introduced to the game also. He could’ve had a late one-on-one chance when breaking two-on-one in the company of Yates, but he was offside by a fair margin.

Doughty went close also, his effort from the edge of the area was well punched wide.

Seven minutes of injury time took many by surprise, but the game fizzled out into its conclusion with Town 3-1 winners.

Town: Benda, Fryers, Isgrove (Muskwe, 76), Yates, Doughty, Hunt, Jaiyesimi (Lyden, 64), Doyle (Woolery, 83), Caddis, Grant, Edmonds-Green.

Grimsby: McKeown, Hendrie, Waterfall, Hanson, Whitehouse, Grandin (Green, 64), Clarke (Garmston, 73), Vernam, Benson, Pollock (Wright, 64), Driscoll-Glennon.