The Swindon Wildcats had a night to remember as they returned to the Link Centre for the first time in 91 days to play Sheffield Steeldogs.

After having to postpone multiple home matches with severe flooding having caused damage to the Link Centre in September, the Wildcats have been having to play their games away from their hometown whilst it was being repaired.

After it was finally deemed possible to return, Swindon hosted Sheffield in their first game back on Saturday night and delighted the over 1,000 fans in attendance with an 8-2 victory.

Head coach Alan Neil said that it was a special night for everyone involved with the club to be able to be back at their own ground.

Speaking to club media, he said: “It has been a long three months and a tough week, we didn’t practice until this morning, but the players have been fantastic all week and for the last 13 weeks.

“Just being able to have a five-minute walk to this rink was nice and for the players to have their home comforts.

“With the new rink, and new boards, it was slightly different than what we are used to, I thought the ice was really good, although in the corners it struggled a few times.

“It was a great night that we won’t forget as a club, and we are thankful that we have many more coming in the next three or four months.”

The Cats began the game quickly and scored after just two minutes through Gael Lubwele, but the game remained tight in the opening exchanges as the first period ended with Swindon leading 2-1.

From that point they managed to pull away as they went goal crazy in the second period, scoring four times through Reed Sayers, Chris Jones, Stevie Whitfield, and another for Lubwele.

Tyler Plews and a hat-trick sealing goal from Lubwele had them seven goals in the lead before a late consolation was added by Sheffield, but there was no danger of them making a late comeback to put a dampener on the occasion.

The Wildcats did not have long to wait for their next home game, taking on Leeds Knights the following evening.

The match was a stiff contest that went right down to the wire, finishing 2-2 after normal time, but Leeds scored a late overtime winner to come away with the victory.