Paul Glatzel struck twice in the second half as Swindon Town came from behind to win 4-1 in their pre-season opener at Swindon Supermarine.

Swindon arrived at The Webbswood Stadium looking to get their new era off to a positive start, even if Mark Kennedy could not be in attendance due to a family member falling ill.

It took a matter of seconds for Harry Smith to show what he is about after his return to the club. The trialist in goal launched a long ball to him from kick-off, he shrugged off a defender, turned on the edge of the box and fired a low effort that Luke Purnell had to block with his legs.

Swindon’s direct play got them another strong chance from the off as Joel McGregor’s endeavour saw him win possession in the box, he cut back for Ollie Clarke, but his shot was blocked.

Kennedy’s set-up from Lincoln City was plain to see with a very narrow attack aside from Rosaire Longelo and McGregor spending their whole time on the respective touchlines in oceans of space.

Picking up from where he was at the end of last season, McGregor was the star of the show. Supermarine were struggling to keep hold of him down the right and his running created another good chance for Anton Dworzak, which was well saved. In a half when Town lacked cohesiveness, the best chance came as Sean McGurk played Smith in behind only for him to fire wide.

But after half an hour it was the hosts that took the lead as Harry Williams caught Sonny Hart on the turn before racing away and slotting into the back of the net.

Swindon went in search of an equaliser before the break but were still having difficulties linking up. McGregor was the only true threat and through his play, the post twice came to Supermarine’s rescue, first from a Smith header and then McGurk being denied by the woodwork.

Wholesale changes at the break were quickly followed by a goal as the ball was worked into Jake Cain outside the box and he drilled one into the bottom corner.

The goal settled Swindon and Cain and Glatzel started to bounce off each other and create danger. The former played out to Tunmise Sobowale to burst beyond his defender. He steadied himself and found Glatzel to turn home the second.

Jaxon Brown made it three after he was on hand to tap home the rebound after Aaron Drinan had got in behind and had his shot saved.

The fourth goal came as Williams Kokolo got on the end of a defence-splitting pass and was able to cut back to give Glatzel the simplest of tasks to net his second of the afternoon.

SSFC starting XI: Purnell, Turl, Campbell, Ibrahim, Lee, Richards, Kotwica, Holland, Williams, Fernandes, Mehew.

SSFC substitutes: Trialist, Lisbon, Trialist, Trialist, Blyth, Griffin, Trialist, Trialist, Rivers.

STFC first half XI: Trialist, Johnson, Wright, Khan, Clarke, Smith, McGurk, Longelo, Dworzak, McGregor, Hart.

STFC second half XI: Trialist, Trialist, Minturn, Trialist, Sobowale, Brown, Ofoborh, Cain, Kokolo, Glatzel, Drinan.